Coconut milk is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) and saturated fatty acids. Both are easily burned as fuel by the body, but MCT’s are particularly beneficial in that they don’t require bile acids for digestion because they’re directly shunted to the liver via the portal vein.
You can buy prepackaged coconut milks, but many of them are fortified with folic acid, vitamin A, and vitamin D2, a form the body doesn’t recognize, and they also contain thickening agents that are often not well tolerated such as carrageenan and guar gum.
[bctt tweet=”This coconut milk is so easy to make and much healthier than store bought!” username=”SamiGTweets”]
Regarding thickening agents, carageenan appears to be the worst offender, but I also have clients that don’t respond well to guar gum either. Personally, I do fine with Native Forest organic coconut milk (Native Forest comes in a BPA-free can), but I still prefer making my own.
- 2 cups organic shredded or frozen coconut (I like Let’s Do Organic brand shredded coconut and Exotic Superfoods frozen coconut meat. Steer clear of bulk bins, you don’t know how long they’ve been sitting there).
- 4 cups hot water
- Blender (high speed preferred)
- Large glass bowl (I like to use an 8 cup pyrex measuring pitcher)
- Large stainless steel fine mesh strainer (to put on top of the pitcher)
- Pinch sea salt
- Vanilla beans (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Sweet Leaf liquid vanilla cream drops (start with 1 dropper and increase to desired taste level, optional)
- Heat water on the stove to boiling
- Add to blender
- Add coconut
- Blend on high for 2 minutes
- Pour into strainer that sits on top of the pitcher
- You can also use a nut milk bag, but I find all that squeezing to be really annoying so I prefer a fine mesh strainer.
- Strain milk and store in the refrigerator. If using other ingredients, add them and pour back into your blender, then give it a whirl for a few minutes on low.
Milk will last 4 days in the refrigerator.
As always, let me know how it turns out in the comments below!